Friday, August 7, 2009

We the people...

My friends,

For the past week or so, Americans have flocked to town hall meetings to protest the terrible healthcare bill currently being proposed by Congress. However, some of our opponents label these citizens as wackos, and the House Speaker even went so far as to say that those of us who attend these meetings carry Swastikas. There is nothing more quintessentially American than our First Amendment rights to Assemble and to Speak. Yet, there are those who believe our voices should be silent just because we disagree with their positions on these issues. While the majority of the gathered have done so peacefully, a handful of Leftist thugs have turned violent, even beating a man with whom they disagreed. This is NOT peaceful dissent nor the American way!

What makes me even more upset than all of this however, is three-fold: First, the Obama White House has sent out an e-mail to his supporters asking them to "turn in" citizens that disagree with his healthcare bill. This is a very, very blatant attempt to silence "WE THE PEOPLE". The second thing that upsets me is that many of our Congressmen have not even read the bill that they are trying to pass into law! This is a travesty! You would think that our elected representatives would actually read the bills that they want to pass onto the American public. Rest assured, that I will read the bills that are presented to Congress and I will present its details to the people of the 5th District. Lastly, many of our elected officials, Congressman Cooper included, either refuse to meet with the voters or refuse to set a specific time, date and place to meet in order to hear our concerns!

My fellow voter, I will never shy away from meeting with you. I will not hide behind veiled rhetoric and I will welcome dissent and questions. This is why politicians are elected...to serve "WE THE PEOPLE". I hope you will give me an opportunity to defend our Constitution and to serve you in Congress as your humble servant.

Thank you all for your interest and your time. God bless you all.