Friday, September 11, 2009

8 years later...my thoughts on 9/11/2001

We all know where we were or what we were doing the morning of Sept. 1, 2001. The night before, my college roommate and I sat down to watch Monday Night Football on ABC...we were laughing and having a good time...we never expected waking up to the horror that confronted us on Tuesday morning.

I won't elaborate on the events of 9/11 or reminisce about where I was and what was I doing. I won't mention my roller coaster of emotions, my tears and fears, my anger and my pride. I am so thankful that we had President Bush as our leader during this time...I know that God puts great men in positions of leadership in the right moments, and, despite his other flaws, Bush was the right man at the right time for America. His steady hand, his bravery, his resolve and his obvious love for America was a comfort to me during our darkest hours.

The thing I remember most (and one of my most touching moments), however, is that my father, an American citizen who was born in Chile, said that for the first time on 9/11 he felt truly American. He has always loved this country and all of the great things it had provided for he and his family, but now, he, like so many of us rose up and declared himself first and foremost an American.

Out of the ashes, America rose like a Phoenix. We were strong, united and dedicated to the eradication of evil in our world. Unfortunately, many of us have forgotten what it felt like on 9/11...what it felt like to be attacked, but more importantly, what it felt like to stand united in defense of our nation.

Today, President Obama has declared a national day of service. Rather than honoring and remembering those who died in 9/11 and the heroes who died protecting our country, we are now supposed to focus on "Community organizing". This is an appalling affront to Americans like myself who already see this administration as one which doesn't truly appreciate what it means to be Americans.

So, for the sake of President Obama and all other Americans, I will say this:

Thank God for America. Thank God for allowing us to live in the greatest and freest nation in the world. I am more proud than words can say to be living in the USA, and I ALWAYS have been (unlike our President's wife). This is the greatest nation on earth....the greatest nation in the history of mankind.

The greatness of America was shown to the world on 9/11/2001 not by any leader or major figure in our country...it was reflected in the firefighters, police officers, EMT's and any of the other brave men and women, who when faced with terror, darkness and iminent death, ran into burning and collapsing buildings to save their fellow citizens. It was reflected in those men and women who took a moment to pray for their co-workers...knowing that in death, they could help others achieve eternal Salvation. It was reflected in one message recorded by Todd Beamer when he said "Let's roll" and helped take down a plane before it crashed into the White House. It was those brave Americans who fought back, who refused to succumb to the wishes of those bent on our distruction...it was the bravey of these people that reminded me of the bravery of our soldiers, the of "Boys of Ponte du Hoc" on Normandy Beach, the men who stood in defiance at the bridge in Lexington and Concord and died defending our country and our freedom.

This is what I reflect upon during this anniversary of 9/11. I am reminded of the courage and bravery of our leaders, and, more importantly, of our people. I am truly proud to be an American. I will never forget; I will never stop fighting for our nation; I will always REMEMBER.